If you have been raped or sexually assaulted in the past 7 days we advise the following:
- Get to a safe place; if you wish to report the assault to the Police, you are in danger or in need of emergency medical assistance call 999.
- If you are absolutely certain you do not want the police involved and are not in danger, contact Oakwood Place on 01277 240620. The phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Keep all your clothing, including any underwear that you were wearing at the time. If possible put them in separate bags - a paper bag if possible if not a carrier bag will do. Don't worry if you have washed your clothes still put them in separate bags.
If you haven't already, do not:
- Shower, Bath or Wash
- Brush your teeth
- Disturb anything in the area where the assault occurred
- Eat or drink. If you need a drink, make sure it is non alcoholic, and use a straw if possible. Bring the straw or drinks container with you.
- Do not wash any bedding that the incident took place on
- If your attacker drank anything don't wash the glass or cup- put it in a separate bag
- If your attacker smoked, keep any cigarette ends- put them in a separate bag
- If your attacker chewed gum and discarded it put it in a separate bag and if possible store it in a fridge
- Keep any sanitary towels or tampons worn at the time of the incident or since-put them in a separate bag
- Keep any discarded condoms from the incident- put them in a separate bag
- Do not smoke. This can be very hard for smokers, as the first thing you may want is to smoke to calm your nerves. If you have been assaulted with anything inserted into your mouth, you can help to save this evidence by not smoking, but if you need to, find a container, take a few of sips of water and swill them around your mouth and spit into the container and close it. Take it with you.
You can take these actions whether you choose to report to the Police at this time or not. If evidence is preserved it may be able to be used if you decide to report to the Police in the future.